Ready to pray for your growing church? Here are some Prayers for Church Growth.
The relationship we have with the church is something that is often overlooked.
Though we may have our differences with those in the church, or we have experienced hurt caused by someone in the church, the way we see the universal church (God’s people, not only the building) is very important. And it’s an important thing to pray for.
We’re not called to love the church because everyone in it is perfect, and we all get along well. We’re called to love and care for the church because it’s what Christ died for.
He did not go to the cross for righteous people. He went to the cross for sinners like us, sinners filling up the pews on Sunday mornings.
The church is therefore precious in the sight of Christ.
Just to signify how important the church is to Jesus, we see scripture comparing the relationship between Christ and the church with that of a groom and his bride.
Christ is the faithful husband who laid down His life for His bride, the church.
It is for every sinner saved by grace that He gave His life. And calls us to do the same for one another.
One of the ways in which we can grow in our love for the church is by laboring in prayer for its people. (That’s one of the reasons why prayer is important.)
This not only challenges us in how we view God’s people, but we come together in unity when we pray over the impact and growth of our church toward the world around us.
The best way for the church to grow is to come together, and what better way than to pray together?
If your church is looking for ways that they can pray for church growth, here are a few prayers to help you get started.
Pray For Church Growth
- Pray for spiritual growth: The first and most important way to pray for church growth is to pray for the spiritual growth of the members of the church. Pray that they may have a deeper understanding of God’s word, grow in their relationship with Him, and become more committed to the mission of the church.
- Pray for evangelism: Pray that the church may be bold and effective in sharing the Gospel with those who do not yet know Christ. Pray that the church may be filled with the Holy Spirit, who will empower them to proclaim the Gospel with power and conviction.
- Pray for unity: Pray that the members of the church may be united in their love for God and for one another. Pray that any division or strife within the church may be healed and that the church may be a place of peace and harmony.
- Pray for leadership: Pray for the leaders of the church, pray for your pastor, pray for your pastors wife, and pray for your pastors family, that they may have wisdom, discernment, and guidance from the Holy Spirit as they lead the church. Pray for their physical, emotional, and spiritual health and strength.
- Pray for financial provision: Pray that the church may have the financial resources it needs to carry out its mission and ministry. Pray for the generosity of the members of the church and for God’s provision in all areas of the church’s finances. Some churches may need prayer for a financial miracle.
- Pray for community impact: Pray that the church may be a positive influence in the community, reaching out to those in need and making a difference in people’s lives. Pray that the church may be a beacon of hope and love in a world that desperately needs it.
- Pray for spiritual protection: Pray that the church may be protected from spiritual attacks, that the members may be strong in their faith, and that they may resist temptation and sin. Pray for God’s protection over the church and its members.
- Pray for revival: Pray that the Holy Spirit may bring revival to the church, that the members may be filled with a new passion for God and a desire to serve Him. Pray that the church may experience a fresh outpouring of God’s Spirit.
- Pray for outreach: Pray that the church may be successful in its outreach efforts, reaching those who are far from God and bringing them into the family of faith. Pray for opportunities to share the Gospel and for hearts to be open to receive it. Pray for the lost.
- Pray for growth in all areas: Pray that the church may experience growth in all areas, including numerical growth, spiritual growth, and growth in influence and impact. Pray that the church may fulfill the mission that God has given it and make a lasting difference in the world.
Our church expanded into a school, and we were able to minister to so many more families that way. We started with preschool first, and then grew to an elementary school. These preschool mission statements may be helpful if your church is thinking about expanding as well.
Example Prayers for Church Growth
Prayer to Be Unified in Love
1 Corinthians 1:10
“Appeal to you, brothers and sisters, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another in what you say and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly united in mind and thought.”
We come to You as Your church, longing that You will be done in us.
Thank You for bringing so many different people together as one.
Thank You that we have a family in Christ that never ends, but will carry on into eternity. We admit that eternity sounds like a long time.
At times, it is hard to be patient with one another in the limited time that we get to spend with each other.
Please forgive us for any ill feelings or thoughts against our brothers and sisters.
Help us to see one another the way that You see us. Help us to treat one another with grace and kindness.
Please keep us from dividing over a difference of opinion or personality, and help us to unite through Your word. Your word trumps everything.
Help us to value one another as a brother and sister who is precious in the sight of God.
If there is any division among us, I pray that You will bring it to light.
Help us to sort through our differences and to come together as one. May the world know us by the love and unity that we share.
In Jesus’ name, amen.
Prayer to Forgive One Another
“Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.”
We can’t begin to thank You for Your sacrifice on the cross.
Because You laid down Your life for us, we get to live in the freedom of Your forgiveness.
Even while we were sinners, You gave Your life for us. You did not ask us to clean ourselves up first. You graciously called us to a new life in You.
We thank You that we can experience Your forgiveness.
Please help us to extend the same kind of forgiveness to one another.
Help us not to grow in bitterness, but to confess our sins to one another, and so find forgiveness.
I pray that Your Holy Spirit will work in each of our hearts. I pray that He would help us to grow in kindness, and forgiveness.
Help us to put off malice, gossip and anger towards one another.
Instead, may we be built up in patience, faithfulness and good-will toward each other.
Where there is hurt, I pray that You will bring healing and restoration. Give us the hearts to forgive one another, as You have forgiven us in Christ.
In Jesus’ name, amen.
Prayer to Be Generous
1 John 3:16-18
“This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters.
If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person?
Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth.”
It is only because of Your kindness and goodness that we can pray to You today.
Though we did nothing to deserve it; You have shown and continue to show us unmerited grace and generosity.
You not only show us generosity, but You call us to live according to Your example.
Help us to reflect You in the way we live and give.
May our hearts become generous towards you, one another and those who are in need.
Help us not to turn a blind eye to the needs of our brothers and sisters. Instead, help us to count their
needs more significant than our own. Please remove any selfish ambition and self-seeking among us.
May we grow in service toward each other, and give generously where we can. Please bless the work of our hands.
May we become cheerful givers, knowing that it is more blessed to give than to receive.
Lead us to lay our lives down for one another just as You did for us.
May we share the gifts that You have given us with each other, and show compassion for one another. Help us to love not with words but with actions.
In Jesus’ name, amen.
Prayer to Serve One Another
1 Peter 4:10
“Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms.”
You have shown us what it means to be a servant.
You did not come into the world to be served, but to serve. Thank You for showing us what it means to live a life of servanthood.
You have given each of us different gifts. One You have created as a hand, the other as a foot, or an arm.
Though our gifts are different, they work best when they are working together.
Please help us to see the importance of every person’s gift and input in the church. Help us grow as a church, as we serve one another in love.
May we be good stewards of the spiritual gifts that You have given us.
I pray that our individual and corporate relationships with You will flow into our relationships with one another.
Help us to serve selflessly, and seek to love in abundance.
In Jesus’ name, amen.
Prayer to Be Rooted in Scripture
2 Timothy 3:16-17
“All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.”
Your word is life to our dry bones and a light to our dark paths. Thank You for sending the Word to the world.
We are that we get to know You and have a relationship with You through Your word.
Please help us as a church to build our foundation on scripture. Keep us from relying on our own wisdom and understanding.
Instead, teach us to handle Your word and divide it rightly. Forgive us for any times when we have prioritized other things above the truth.
I pray that we will grow to be deeply rooted in scripture. Your word is alive and active.
It is working in and through our lives daily. Please help us to submit to it.
May we not simply be hearers of the word, but be doers. May our teaching be grounded in scripture.
Lead us to become and remain a sound, biblical church.
Equip us through Your word, that we may be prepared to do the good works that You have set out for us.
In Jesus’ name, amen.
Ways To Pray For the Growth Of Your Church
- Discipleship: Pray the church can grow in its discipleship efforts by providing more opportunities for members to grow in their relationship with God, such as Bible studies, small groups, and mentoring programs.
- Worship: A church can grow in its worship by providing meaningful and engaging worship services that help people connect with God.
- Outreach: Growing in its outreach efforts by reaching out to the community, supporting local ministries, and participating in evangelistic efforts.
- Children’s Ministry: Children of the church are important, so it’s important for the children’s ministry to grow by providing a safe and welcoming environment for kids to learn about God and grow in their faith.
- Pray for Youth Ministry: Giving opportunities for young people to connect with one another and with God, such as youth groups, retreats, and mission trips.
- Women’s Ministry: Offering women’s ministry events that foster relationships, provide opportunities for Bible study, and nurture a relationship with God can help a church grow in this area.
If you’re hosting a women’s event, check out these icebreaker questions for women’s retreats.
- Men’s Ministry: A church can strengthen its men’s ministry by organizing events that provide a space for men to connect with each other, study the Bible together, encourage each other to be the head of their family, and deepen their relationship with God. Pray for the men in the church.
The church that prays together is unified, extends forgiveness, gives generously, serves one another, and is rooted in scripture.
It is never too late to become a praying church. Make your requests known to God as one people, and share in His blessings.